Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Kohei Yoshiyuki - 公園/ Park

This 1979 series by Kohei Yoshiyuki is brilliantly disturbing, capturing (with an infrared flashbulb) various couples making love in two Tokyo parks while surrounded by numerous, sometimes intrusive, strangers/gawkers. The original exhibit was presented in a dark gallery with patrons holding flashlights to see the photographs. I love the ghost-like quality of the men; it reminds me of Lulu's line about Dr. Goll's ghost:
  • I dream that his burial was a misunderstanding. That he’s here, as if he’d never left. Only now he walks very softly, in stocking feet. The fact I married Schwarz doesn’t anger him in the least. Just a bit sad. But then he’s easily frightened, as if he were here without permission.
Anyway, I like what Wikipedia says: "the photographs raise questions about the boundaries between spectator, voyeur and participant."

No comments:

Post a Comment